It’s very important to choose wisely the people you work with for your wedding day, especially when it comes to your marriage celebrant. Your Marriage celebrant is not only there with you for the wedding ceremony but in the lead up to your day as well.
Selecting your marriage celebrant is a personal preference. This person will give your ceremony the personal touches you will want. They may also be able to suggest wedding venues that will work with the feel of your day.
Photography: Images by Sophie
Here are some tips to help you choose the best marriage celebrant for your wedding:
Duties of a Marriage Celebrant
- Hosting and Officiating. The marriage celebrant hosts the ceremony proceedings on the wedding day, officiates the marriage, and helps with the legal documentation needed to make the partnership officially recognised.
- Legal Documents. A marriage celebrant helps you with all the requirements in making your marriage official.
- Connect on a Personal Level. The marriage celebrant should take time to get to know the couple getting married and the stories about their relationship to make the ceremony more personal or if there are cultural or religious traditions. They should be well-informed about beliefs and traditions and will help in planning what or what not to include in the ceremony.
Source: Creek Street Photography
Choosing the Marriage Celebrant
Choosing the ideal celebrant for your wedding will go a long way to making your day special. If you’re not sure where to find a marriage celebrant, here are some suggestions:
- Family and Friends’ Recommendations. Begin by asking newly married couples for recommendations. Get their opinion on how the celebrant helped them on their wedding day. Learn about the celebrant’s personality, organisation, communication, and planning abilities.
- Wedding Expos. Wedding expos are a good place to find a celebrant. A wedding expo takes choosing a celebrant to a higher level because you get to meet and talk to them personally. This is great if you think about how intimate a celebrant’s role is on your wedding day. When you talk to the celebrants, you can be sure to see if they communicate with you comfortably.
- Supplier referrals. If you’ve already booked a wedding supplier, ask for their top celebrant recommendations. A wedding planner or your venue might know someone they can refer to you. There is a good chance that your wedding supplier is working with celebrants who may have the personality you are looking for.
- Ask Questions. Ask the celebrant questions. Ask about their qualifications and experience as a celebrant. If you can’t find the courage or that you feel uncomfortable or awkward asking questions, the celebrant may not be the best one for you. Ensure that you find someone that you can work comfortably with. Also, reading reviews might help in knowing more about their personality and work habits.
- Book the Ideal One. Once you know you’ve found the person you want to work with, book them as early as you can. When you are sure this person is the one you’ll share your big day with, organise a ceremony rehearsal to ensure a smooth flow of events.
Finding a marriage celebrant is a very personal and important decision. Ensure that you know upfront about their responsibilities, marriage celebrant fees, or other things that you need to clarify before placing your signatures on a contract.