7 Ways to Decorate Your Home as a Couple and Enjoy It

Decorating your home can be frustrating, but decorating a home with a partner can be even more frustrating. However, that might not always be the case, and today we are going to prove it by giving you some tips for the stress-free house moving and decoration as a couple.

Image Source: Unsplash

Reasons for Home Decorating as a Couple

Image Source: Unsplash

Now, why would you even decorate as a couple?

Well, when you love someone and you are either married or intend to marry them, you can’t simply plan your mutual life on your own. Both sides need to participate and contribute, in order for everyone to be happy in the end.

For instance, if you like something she doesn’t, and you use it to decorate your home, then it could cause trouble because you haven’t talked to each other about it.

Set Up Some Ground Rules

Image Source: Unsplash

To avoid potential problems, it is a good idea to set up some ground rules before you start decorating as a couple:

  • Set up a common goal
  • Decide what are the foundations
  • Define certain limits
  • Agree on personal comfort zones
  • Don’t move away from the initial plan once you start decorating
  • Always make the decorating process fun for both of you

 

Best Ways to Decorate Your Home as a Couple

Now that we know why it’s important to set some ground rules, let’s get on with some of the best ways to decorate your home as a couple.

1. Look for Neutrality in Walls

When decorating as a couple, you should start by decorating your walls to be neutral. This ensures that both of you will enjoy the ambience.

Before deciding though, make sure to talk about it with your partner and choose the design that would fit both of you.

2. Decide on Mutual Color Palette

Now that design is settled, you should pick the colour for your walls and ceiling. Again, this decision should be mutual.

Yes, there will probably be some differences in tastes, but there is always room for compromise on both sides.

3. 80/20 Rule Can Help

When it comes to applying the 80/20 rule in the decorating business, it means that at least 80% of all furniture should be of the same or similar style. The remaining 20% can be whatever you want.

Now, if we are talking about just married couples, it is of crucial importance to equip your bedroom, with high-quality bedroom furniture sets. To still follow the rule, you can decide to have unified main bedroom furniture, and insert personal little details both of you like in this 20%.

4. Mix Masculine and Feminine Elements

Image Source: Unsplash

In order to create a complete balance in your home, you will have to use both masculine and feminine elements.

This would represent not just the harmony between furniture and the rest of the house, but also between husband and wife.

5. Balanced Textile Styles

Using textile details can enrich your home, and make it look more compact and natural. Therefore, don’t hesitate to use decorative rugs or tapestries that will fit well with the rest of the furniture and match the colours of your walls.

However, make sure not to overdo it, since there should always be a balance in every room you want to decorate.

6. Design Everything in Your Home to Have a Purpose

Image Source: Unsplash

Another thing when it comes to balance is that you should design everything in your home in a way so that everything inside has a purpose.

For instance, if you want a large TV, make sure to leave some large wall empty, or even create deep walls for your kitchen appliances. All those little details may be quite significant when it comes to the practicality of your home design.

7. Agree on Where to Put Personal Elements

In every relationship, there will be something you don’t like about your partner and something that they won’t like about you. However, if you really love each other, you will understand that both of you need to add some personal touches and small things when it comes to decorating your home as a couple.

Therefore, make sure to talk to each other, and decide in what rooms or areas of the house both of you can add some personality, by placing your favourite items, or something else you like.

Conclusion

There you go, folks! Who would say that decorating your home as a couple can actually be fun and engaging? Everything is possible when there is a good relationship between partners, and we hope our tips will help you achieve that.